Thursday, 3 July 2014

Samuel Eto’o passport confiscated


Samuel Eto'o. Photo: Getty

Cameroon's President Paul Biya had instructed his Prime Minister to conduct an inquiry on the collapse of the Indomitable Lions at the 2014 World Cup, which saw striker Samuel Eto'o losing his passport.

It’s cast a shadow over Cameroon’s soccer team following their return from Brazil after being booted out of the group stages at the FIFA World Cup.

A number of players have been interrogated as part of the inquiry. When it was Samuel Eto’o's turn to be questioned, he dispatched his attorney to respond on his behalf.
This was not enough. The judiciary insisted on the former Barcelona striker’s presence and Eto’o eventually appeared.

During the hearing, Eto’o's passport was confiscated.

The inquiry has raised questions over the team’s three losses that saw them packing their bags and returning home last week.



Source: AllAfrica

U.S. finalizes $3.4 billion settlement with American Indians

The late Elouise Cobell, right, watches as Interior Secretary Ken Salazar testifies during a Senate Indian Affairs Committee hearing in 2009.


(CNN) -- Thousands of American Indians are now in line to receive part of a $3.4 billion settlement with the federal government, ending a long-running dispute over government mismanagement of tribal lands and accounts.

After an initial agreement was outlined in 2009, Congress approved it in November 2010 and it spent the last two years going through an appeals process. It was finalized Saturday, with government officials announcing and touting it on Monday.

"I welcome the final approval of the Cobell settlement agreement, clearing the way for reconciliation between the trust beneficiaries and the federal government," President Barack Obama said in a statement. The settlement is named after the late Elouise Cobell, a member of Montana's Blackfeet Indian tribe.

The deal follows a class-action lawsuit, filed in 1996, which accused the U.S. Department of the Interior of failing to account for and provide revenue from a trust fund representing the value of Indian assets managed by the government.

The missing funds at the center of the class-action case involve what are called Individual Indian Money accounts, which are supposed to represent the property of individual Indians. The accounts are held by the United States as trustee.

The lawsuit had accused the government of failing to account for the money, failing to make proper payments, and converting tribal money for the government's own use.
In making the announcement Monday, Obama remembered Cobell for "her honorable work." In 2009, she said that many represented in the class-action lawsuit "subsist in the direst poverty," and that the settlement is "significantly less than the full amount to which the Indians are owed."

"It's not fair," Cobell said then of the long process to reach a settlement, but "in the future we may be treated more fairly."

The agreement calls for $1.5 billion to be distributed among those who were part of the lawsuit.

Another $1.9 billion will go into a "land consolidation program" that will allow people to sell fractions of land they own, which are slivers of once larger ancestral plots that have been divided and subdivided over generations.

The group ownership of land by American Indians dates back more than 100 years, before American Indians were permitted to write wills. As a result, the government says many pieces of tribal lands are held by many owners -- possibly hundreds, if not thousands of people per parcel. Officials have said the project allows individual landowners to receive greater value for their share, while cutting administrative costs for the federal government, which manages the Indian land trust.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said he hopes the agreement helps the government and American Indians turn the page on the ordeal.

"With the settlement now final, we can put years of discord behind us and start a new chapter in our nation-to-nation relationship," he said.


11 Things I Want My Son to Know About Marriage

CLINT EDWARDS

Right now, my son, Tristan, is 7 years old. Even at this young age, I think a lot about what kind of a husband he will make. I think about his future, and if I'm setting a good example. Below is a list of things I want him to know about marriage.

(Author Note: This list is based on my own experience in a straight marriage because it's all I know. However, I have to assume that some of this advice is universal.)

1. No one will frustrate you more than your wife. This is a good thing. Your wife will keep you on your toes. She will question you, your motivations, and your sincerity in ways that will ultimately make you more self-aware.

2. You are not the only one with an opinion. Sometimes it's best to just shut up and listen. You might learn something.

3. Sometimes she needs to be left alone. During an argument, your wife might lock herself in the bathroom or bedroom -- or hop in the car and go for a drive just to get away from you. Leave her alone. She needs time to process.

4. You will always find other women attractive. Marriage does not make you dead. You are still a man, and you will still look at other women. The real question is how you handle that. Don't forget the commitment you made on your wedding day.

5. Sometimes the house will be a mess, and it's your fault, too. When I say sometimes, I mean most of the time. Especially after you have kids. You have as much of an obligation to clean the house as she does, so stop b*tching and do the laundry.

6. Take her out and bring her flowers. Cliché, I know, but it's true. I've mentioned this in another post, but the most frustrating stalemate in your marriage will be this: Dates lead to intimacy. Intimacy leads to dates. Sex makes me feel valued in the same way dates and flowers make my wife feel valued. It doesn't have to be flowers -- perhaps she likes something else (it could be anything from candy, to sports, to free time). But it is your job figure it out and give it to her.

7. Tell her she's beautiful every day. There are a lot of people telling your wife she's unattractive. At the grocery store, there are magazines with photoshopped women telling your wife she needs to look impossibly slim and forever young. TV stars with a fleet of physical trainers, dietitians and plastic surgeons make it seem like there is something wrong with your wife because having children changed her body in ways she can't define. She is bombarded with people defining beauty for her, and it is your job to help her fight those outside influences.

8. Get up in the night with your kids. If your kids take after you, you are going to have some long nights. Sure, you have work in the morning, and although you think that being tired at work is going to make your job harder, your wife has work, too. She might have a job outside the house, or she might be a stay-at-home mom. It doesn't matter. She has sh*t to do, same as you, so help her out. This is a partnership. Never forget that.

9. It's OK to talk to your wife about your problems. Sometimes you will feel that you need to keep your problems to yourself. I get it. You're a man, and perhaps you feel that discussing your frustrations is a sign of weakness. But let me tell you something: discussing your problems humanizes you. It gives your wife the opportunity to help you and draw closer to you emotionally. And honestly, no one can help you overcome your problems better than your wife.

10. Give your wife the benefit of the doubt. This is what the hard work of marriage really looks like.

11. Tell your wife that you love her several times a day. Telling your wife that you love her several times a day gives her reassurance. Being married and raising children can be demanding for you and your wife. Without regular reassurance, your wife can begin to wonder why she is with you at all. And here is the really cool part: the more you tell her that you love her, the more she will say it back to you.


Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Google bans porn from its ad network



Google is getting out of the porn advertising business.

The changes, which went into effect late Monday, prohibit any promotion of most sexually themed sites, specifically those that feature "graphic sexual acts with intent to arouse including sex acts such as masturbation."

A company spokesperson noted that Google has long had restrictive policies on its adult category for some time and expected many advertisers had already looked to other advertising venues.

Industry insiders, though, tell a different story.

"I was caught by surprise," says Theo Sapoutzis, chairman and CEO of AVN Media Network. "I was one of the very first advertisers for AdWords back in 2002. It's something that's been [untouched] for 12 years, so you don't expect change is going to start happening."


Read more: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101807108#.

BLACK SOUTH AFRICANS GET NEW CHANCE TO RECOUP STOLEN LANDS





South Africa will restart the claims process that provides compensation to black families who were illegally removed from their land during white rule. The window for those claims had been shut 16 years ago.

In a published statement, President Jacob Zuma assented to the Restitution of Land Rights Amendment Act, which among other things reopens the period to make a claim for those who missed the previous deadline of Dec. 31, 1998.

The original Restitution act, passed by Nelson Mandela, set up a Land Claims Commission and a Land Claims Court to buy or expropriate land and return it to the claimants. The Act was strongly opposed by the right-wing Freedom Front, the Inkatha Freedom Party and the South African Agricultural Union.

The process will run for five years starting from June 30, 2014, the statement said.

There are an estimated 397 000 valid restitution claims for apartheid-era forced removals. Only about 80,000 claims were filed by the 1998 deadline, although 3.5 million people had been forcibly evicted from their land or otherwise shifted to the homelands during the apartheid era; and about 4 million people had lost land under “betterment” schemes.

The amendment bill would also allow for claims by the Khoi and San people who were evicted even before the 1913 Native Land Act. The amendments extend the window period for lodging claims to June 18, 2018.

In an editorial by Tshepo Diale, a banker, in the Independent On Line (iol.co.za) Business Report, Diale wrote: “The commitment to return land to rightful owners as enshrined in the constitution should outweigh any other factor. The establishment of the office of the valuer-general, whose role will be to evaluate land and farms, will offer a much-needed reprieve in lengthy negotiations over price.

“Returning land to rightful owners is not enough to address poverty. The restoration of dignity through ownership alone, when the land is not productive, yields nothing.

“Pockets of success have begun to emerge as the government moves to recapitalize and assist in the development of farms left fallow. However, these lessons will have to be implemented at lightning speed for the true fruits of the land to be realized by the new owners.

“If we have no land to live on, we can be no people.”

The restitution act follows a new proposal by the Land Affairs Ministry which would give farmworkers 50 percent of land on which they are employed. The “historical owner” of the farm “automatically retains” the other half. The government will compensate the “historical owner” for the share given to workers.

Opposition to the policy came quickly from white farm owners at the AfriBusiness Property Rights Conference in Pretoria who this month launched a campaign with the goal of defeating the government program. It was called “ill-considered by Agri SA, one of the largest farmers’ unions.

But the Lands minister hit back saying: "We have been bending over backwards as black people, particularly African people... It is time that all of us took responsibility for progress... for South Africa belongs to all who live in it, black and white".



- See more at: http://www.blackstarnews.com/global-politics/africa/black-south-africans-get-new-chance-to-recoup-stolen-lands.html#sthash.tZCVm9xa.dpuf

Bank worker stole signatures of 150 clients and sold them to criminal gang in £400,000 fraud but is spared jail because she has children


Spared jail: Lekeshia Henry-Richards, 28, stole signatures of around 150 clients of the exclusive private banking service based in the City of London


A NatWest banking officer who sold wealthy customers' details to criminals running a £400,000 fraud was spared jail because she has two young children.
Lekeshia Henry-Richards, 28, stole signatures of around 150 clients of the exclusive private banking service based in the City of London.

The information was used by a gang of swindlers to go on spending sprees at Apple and Selfridges stores in Beirut, Marseilles and London. One customer lost more than £130,000 before the scam was stopped in April this year.

The mother from Leytonstone, east London, was spared time in prison because of her two young children, aged eight years and 18 months.

She was sentenced at London’s Old Bailey to two years in jail suspended for two years - and ordered to carry out 90 hours of unpaid work.

Judge Gerald Gordon said: ‘You were convicted by the jury of conspiring with other people to commit fraud upon your employer NatWest bank, part of the Royal Bank of Scotland, by abusing your position as relationship advisor dealing with high value accounts at the branch in the City.

‘Between March and November 2011 you obtained details, mainly customer signatures, which you supplied to others for them to use in persuading the bank that customer change of address notifications were genuine when they were in fact fraudulent.

‘Credit cards, PIN and cheque books were sent and as a result of those details fraudsters could make use of the accounts and the resulting fraud netted the conspirators something in excess of £400,000.’

He added: ‘The reality seems to be that you got yourself into this for some reason, perhaps after some attempt to avoid it, and those you were supplying the information to had a strong hold over you. Your prolonged criminal conduct cost your employer a very large sum of money.




Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2676633/Bank-worker-stole-signatures-150-clients-sold-criminal-gang-400-000-fraud-spared-jail-children.html#ixzz36PO5jBDN