Friday, 18 April 2014
Although there is no official statement from the parties yet, it appears that there is trouble brewing up in the P-square camp.
According to celebrity blogger Linda Ikeji, “On Wednesday April 16th, I gathered from industry sources that the brothers fought each other physically during rehearsals. They had to be separated by their dancers. This is fact! I hear one of the wives is causing some of the problems between the brothers.”
Also, their elder brother and manager tweeted this a few minutes ago “After ten years of hard work, it’s over and I’m done!!!”
The Okoyes – P-square and Jude Okoye delved into music in 2004 and have been active ever since.
So far, they have released six successful albums.
BY EVELYN USMAN & ESTHER ONYEGBULA LAGOS — Trouble is brewing at a police division, Lagos Island following claims by a mother of two that she was raped by the Divisional Police Officer, DPO, while in detention at the station.
The 31-year‑old Beninoise, identified as Idowu Akinwunmi, works as a sales girl in a restaurant on Keffi Road, in Ikoyi area of the state.
She was reportedly picked by some policemen from Onikan division, following a complaint lodged by her boss, one Mrs Pelumi Idowu, over an undisclosed reason, at about 1 am. She said she was thrown into the cell on reaching the station.
However, at about 10 pm, Akinwunmi said one Inspector Ajiduwe called her out of the cell and took her to the DPO’s office, where she alleged that the station’s boss forcefully had carnal knowledge of her. According t o her, “He, the DPO, made love to me without a condom, saying he would throw me into prison if I mention the incident to anyone.”
Refund of N10,000 bail
Aside that, she also alleged that the Investigating Police Officer, IPO, collected N10,000 from her for bail before she was released. Akinwunmi told members of the Network on Police Reform in Nigeria, NOPRIN, that she had been having severe abdominal pain sincere the intercourse.
Although the DPO denied raping the detainee, when NOPRIN inquired from him, he reportedly called the man who stood surety for Akinwunmi to come for a refund of the N10,000 bribe for bail they extorted from her after allegedly raping her.
The National Coordinator, NOPRIN, Mr Okechukwu Nwanguma who condemned the rape, said: “NOPRIN condemns the attempt by some police officers at Area A Command, Lion Building to block the victim from lodging a complaint of the rape with the Area Commander and collecting a police report to go for medical examination.” At the command level, Vanguard gathered that the state command frowned at the allegation and had commenced investigation to ascertain the DPO’s alleged culpability. If found guilty, the DPO, said to have put in about 25 years in service, would face disciplinary action. Already, the Command’s boss, Umar Manko, had reportedly summoned the parties involved to the command for interrogation as at 3 pm, yesterday. Spokesperson for the command, Ngozi Braide, however, could not state whether the allegation was true or false but told Vanguard that investigation at the end of the day would prove that, adding: “It is an allegation and we are taking it very serious.” How I was raped — Akinwunmi Narrating her ordeal, Akinwunmi, told Vanguard: “I was arrested because my madam told the police that I allowed one Friday, a customer pass the night in the restaurant. Two relatives of one of the tailors employed by my madam who came on a visit were also arrested. “I am from Cotonou in Benin Republic. I am a mother of two and I have been working for Ms Pelumi for about 10 months now. I have done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment. Is it because I am a foreigner that I would be abused without protection? Nigerians should give me justice. I demand justice for this wrong that has been done to me. “While at the station, I pleaded with one of the police women to allow me take my bath since I have not been allowed to do so since I was arrested and she agreed. “On my way to the bathroom, I met the DPO for the first time. He asked if I was Idowu and I said yes. He then asked why I chose to violate my boss’ rules and I told him it was a mistake. “At about 10pm, one Inspector Ajiduwe took me out of the cell to the DPO, apparently for debriefing on the case. “Immediately the Inspector left the office, the DPO started touching me. When I asked him to stop, he said my boss said they should do anything they liked to me. “He threatened to shoot me and send me and those arrested with me to jail, if I refused to allow him make love to me and that he would release all of us if I gave in. “He, thereafter, took me into the inner room in his office. I began to plead with him to use a condom but he refused and forced himself on me . “When he finished, he told me to wash myself in the bathroom which I did. After that, he sent me back to the cell, with a promise that I would be released. “But when my relatives came to effect our bail, they paid N30,000 for five of us. As we were going, the DPO scribbled his number on a piece of paper and gave to me. “Immediately I left, my relatives took me to the Island Maternity for the necessary medical tests.”
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/04/dpo-raped-detention-sales-girl/#sthash.WyU20XCq.UzZYuFzz.dpuf
(CNN) -- Dubai, long champion of all things biggest, longest and most expensive, will soon have some competition from neighboring Saudi Arabia.
Dubai's iconic Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building, could be stripped of its Guinness title if Saudi Arabia succeeds in its plans to construct the even larger Kingdom Tower in Jeddah -- a prospect looking more likely as work begins next week, according to Construction Weekly.
Consultants Advanced Construction Technology Services have recently announced testing materials to build the 3,280-feet (1 kilometer) skyscraper (the Burj Khalifa, by comparison, stands at a meeker 2,716 feet, or 827 meters).
The Kingdom Tower, estimated to cost $1.23 billion, would have 200 floors and overlook the Red Sea. Building it will require about 5.7 million square feet of concrete and 80,000 tons of steel, according to the Saudi Gazette.
Building a structure that tall, particularly on the coast, where saltwater could potentially damage it, is no easy feat. The foundations, which will be 200 feet (60 meters) deep, need to be able to withstand the saltwater of the nearby ocean. As a result, Advanced Construction Technology Services will test the strength of different concretes.
Wind load is another issue for buildings of this magnitude. To counter this challenge, the tower will change shape regularly.
"Because it changes shape every few floors, the wind loads go round the building and won't be as extreme as on a really solid block," Gordon Gill explained to Construction Weekly. Gill is a partner at Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, the design architects for the project.
Delivering the concrete to higher floors will also be a challenge. Possibly, engineers could use similar methods to those employed when building the Burj Khalifa; 6 million cubic feet of concrete was pushed through a single pump, usually at night when temperatures were low enough to ensure that it would set.
Though ambitious, building the Kingdom Tower should be feasible, according to Sang Dae Kim, the director of the Council on Tall Buildings.
"At this point in time we can build a tower that is one kilometer, maybe two kilometers. Any higher than that and we will have to do a lot of homework," he told Construction Weekly.
Landlords in a gentrifying section of Brooklyn are trying to force out black tenants in favor of white newcomers by ignoring repair requests, offering cash buyouts and forcing evictions, a new federal lawsuit charges.
Tenants at two large complexes on Brooklyn Avenue and Hawthorne Street in East Flatbush, just east of Prospect-Lefferts Gardens, claim that after Yeshaya Wasserman, Shay Wasserman and Yitzchok Rambod bought the buildings in 2009, the landlords immediately began mistreating longtime tenants to try to drive them out.
The suit alleges that white tenants are not subjected to the same shoddy treatment and that the owners are blatantly trying to boot existing tenants who live in rent-controlled units.
The landlords show a “persistent refusal” to make repairs for black tenants, fail to cash rent checks and then initiate eviction proceedings and even delay the delivery of front-door keys.
“In contrast, white tenants move into renovated apartments, their rent checks are cashed, they receive monthly rent statements and they are not subject to harassment,” the suit states.
The filing also alleges that white tenants face minimal rent increases when their leases expire, while black tenants are nailed with double-digit hikes.
“Entirely lacking a rational business justification, this course of conduct is blatantly designed to ambush black tenants who have lived in the apartments for years paying affordable rents and force them out, thus enabling defendants to re-rent the apartment to white tenants,” the suit states.
One longtime tenant claims that she has been without hot water since Friday despite repeatedly alerting her landlords.
Reps for the landlords did not immediately return calls for comment.