Thursday, 27 March 2014
Russian President Vladimir Putin says his country should create its own national payment settlement system to reduce its reliance on West amid heightened tensions over Crimea.
Putin told lawmakers in televised remarks on Thursday that such systems worked in countries like Japan and China.
"Initially, they started out solely as national systems limited to their own markets, their own territory, their own population, but they are becoming more popular right now," the Russian President said, adding, "Why should we not do it? We should definitely do it and we will do it."
Putin’s remarks came after two American financial companies Visa and MasterCard stopped providing services for payment transactions for clients at Bank Rossiya, following Washington’s sanctions imposed in response to Crimea rejoining Russia.
Crimea declared independence from Ukraine on March 17 and formally applied to become part of Russia following a referendum a day earlier, in which 96.8 percent of Crimean residents voted in favor of the secession. The voter turnout in the referendum stood at 83.1 percent.
The move sparked angry reactions from the United States and the European Union, both imposing punitive measures against a number of Russian officials and authorities in Crimea.
Ukrainian lawmakers have announced that they will never recognize the reunification of Crimea with Russia, vowing to fight for the liberation of the region as long as it takes.
The new plate number embarked upon by the Federal Road Safety Corp, FRSC has been ruled as illegal by a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos Wednesday.
The judgment delivered by Justice James Tsoho ruled that it was unconstitutional for the FRSC to impose new number plates on motorists across the country.
A lawyer, Emmanuel Ofoegbu, had filed a suit challenging the powers of FRSC to issue the new number plates, impound vehicles and arrest motorists who failed to acquire the new numbers by the October 1 deadline. The
The plaintiff maintained that such action was a gross violation of the provisions of 36 (12) of the constitution which guarantees the rights of individuals.
Tsho delivering his judgement held that it was unlawful for the respondent to impose the new number plates on motorists, where there was no existing law permitting same.
According to Justice Tsho: “The issue of redesigning new number plates by the respondent is not covered under the provisions of any law in Nigeria.
“The respondent cannot force Nigerians to acquire new number plates by impounding cars, without the backing of any legislation to that effect.
“I hold that the act of the respondent amounts to an arbitrary use of power, and is therefore illegal and unconstitutional.
“Judgment is, therefore, entered in favour of the plaintiff, and all the reliefs sought are hereby granted, I so hold.”
The plaintiff had filed the suit on September 30, 2013 through a Human Rights Activists, Mr Ogedi Ogu where he averred that there was no law in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, which prohibits the use of the old plate numbers, or declares its use as an offence.
Alhaji Aliko Dangote is one of the richest men in the world. He is currently worth $20.8 billion dollars and is the richest man in all of Africa. Here are a few facts about Dangote that you may find intriguing:
1) Dangote lives in Nigeria and is the owner of the Dangote Group, with interests in commodities operations in several countries, including Benin, Cameroon, Togo, and South Africa.
2) He was born in a wealthy family, but was also pushed to be an entrepreneur at an early age. “I can remember when I was in primary school, I would go and buy cartons of sweets [sugar boxes] and I would start selling them just to make money. I was so interested in business, even at that time.”
3) He started his first major company at the age of 21 after receiving a loan from his uncle.
4) The Dangote Group now dominates the sugar market and refinery business and is the main supplier of sugar to soft drink companies in Africa. They also have significant investments in salt factors, flour mills, real estate, banking, etc. He employs over 11,000 people.
5) He is deeply committed to investing in his home country of Nigeria. “Let me tell you this and I want to really emphasize it…nothing is going to help Nigeria like Nigerians bringing back their money. If you give me $5 billion today, I will invest everything here in Nigeria. Let us put our heads together and work.”
6) Dangote’s personal wealth rose by an astonishing $9.2 billion during the year 2013. This now makes him the 30th richest person on earth. He has roughly 7.5 times more wealth than Oprah Winfrey
Financial Juneteenth lessons from this article:
1) Having an entrepreneurial spirit is the key to building your wealth. Although Dangote had more advantages growing up than most Africans, it was his entrepreneurial spirit that allowed him to turn a small fortune into one of the largest fortunes in the world. Had he simply settled for working for his parents, he wouldn’t be worth 1/100th of what he is worth right now.
2) There is value to keeping your money at home. Dangote’s love for his home country is Nigeria makes him an even greater asset to the nation than his wealth. Rather than seeking out every investment opportunity available, he professes to having a commitment to building wealth and power for all of Nigeria. This can be compared to some celebrities or business owners like Jay-Z or Michael Jordan, who are accused of getting rich by taking money from the hands of black people without creating many jobs for them.
3) Africa is a hot spot for 21st century investment. China understands how resource rich the continent of Africa is and how this is going to play a crucial role in the development of the global economic landscape over the next 100 years. African investments are less expensive than most and have tremendous upside. This is the location of the next investment gold rush, and Dangote knows it.
Well-known porn actress Ina Groll, a.k.a. Kitty Blair (pictured), who was the familiar face of a far-right German political party, was fired for engaging in sexual relations with a Black man in her latest adult film. The blond actress was reportedly not only berated by the National Democratic Party (NDP) of Germany via Facebook for “disgracing” her race but the organization has also severed ties with her, according to Capitalism Is Freedom.
Kitty Blair appeared in the film “Kitty Discovers Sperm,” and in the movie, she has sex with a Black actor. Before Groll’s most-recent film, it did not seem to matter to the NDP that she was a porn star. The neo-Nazi party that was founded in 1964, which identifies itself as Germany’s “only significant patriotic force,” hired the actress to be the face of their high-profile campaign, where she encouraged men to join the organization by standing outside of polling places scantily clad.
During her association with the NDP, Kitty Blair helped to host all promotional events and appeared on posters as she hobnobbed with high-ranking party officials across Germany.
Once the news broke that Groll had engaged in sex with a Black man, a Facebook page was created to remove her from the party. One member wrote:
"Those who sell their body for money and disgrace their race have no place in our party."
Party members reportedly called for a meeting to discuss Groll’s association with the NDP and it was decided that she be given the axe.
President Barack Obama met with Pope Francis in Vatican City today, an opportunity for both world leaders to discuss their shared commitment to combatting economic inequality. "I'm a great admirer," Obama told Francis
President Barack Obama met with Pope Francis on Thursday at the Vatican, in his second Papal visit and first with the new Pontiff.
“Wonderful meeting you,” Obama told the Pope upon being greeted outside the Papal Library, following a ceremonial procession led by the Vatican’s Swiss Guards.
“It is a great honor. I’m a great admirer,” Obama said. “Thank you so much for receiving me.”
The White House said before the visit that the meeting would be an opportunity for the two world leaders to discuss their shared commitment to combatting economic inequality, an issue Pope Francis has prioritized during his first year in office. Democrats have increasingly used the Pope’s emphasis on inequality as a political cudgel against Republicans ahead of the midterm elections.
But the gathering is also seen as an opportunity for the president to smooth ties with the Vatican and the large Hispanic Catholic population in America whose support for Obama has waned since helping vote him into office. The Vatican has been critical of a measure in Obama’s health care reform law that mandates contraception coverage, and officials said before the meeting that Pope Francis would likely raise those concerns.
Pope Francis, who was TIME’s Person of the Year in 2013, is widely popular globally and in America, where 8 in 10 Catholics viewed him favorably in a recent Pew Research Center poll.
“He can cause people around to the world to stop and perhaps rethink old attitudes and begin treating one another with more decency and compassion,” Obama said in an interview with the Italian daily Corriere della Sera before the meeting.
The White House said Obama presented Pope Francis with “a custom-made seed chest featuring a variety of fruit and vegetable seeds used in the White House Garden,” noting that the Pontiff said earlier this month that he would open the gardens of the papal summer residence to the public.
“I bring greetings from my family,” Obama told the Pope upon meeting him. “The last time I came here to meet your predecessor I was able to bring my wife and children.”
Obama, on a week-long tour in Europe that has primarily focused on regional security amid recent tension with Russia, is the ninth president to make an official visit to the Vatican.
-with reporting from Zeke J Miller
London – Oil theft looks set to push Nigeria off its spot as top African crude oil exporter in May and exports could fall to their lowest since records began in 2009, data indicated on Wednesday.
Nigerian exports in May are set to be at around 1.59 million barrels per day (bpd) excluding the Forcados and Ebok grades of crude oil, which had still not emerged.
Exports are far below the highs above 2.2 million bpd reached in 2011 and the May figure is set to fall beneath the exports of Angola, which is usually the continent’s second largest exporter.
Angolan exports in May were set to be 1.67 million bpd, a provisional shipping list indicated.
Production of the Forcados grade has been hit by under water pipeline leakage due to oil theft which led operator Shell to declare a force majeure on the grade this week.
The problems affecting Forcados are the latest in a string of theft-related outages at major Nigerian grades, with Bonny Light production severely affected for much of last year.
Planned exports in April were initially seen at 1.73 million bpd, but were revised up to 1.86 million bpd after additional Bonny Light cargoes were added.
Traders said that it was likely that there would be no exports of Forcados for May, although should the pipeline be fixed soon there could yet be a small volume of this grade, which could push shipments above Angolan levels. -
After reading the headline, I know some of you will say the prophet must be smelling badly by now, but the truth is Prophet Wale Olagunji who heads Divine Seed of God Chapel Ministry in Ibadan, Oyo State does not smell and in fact moves about doing his daily activities and even looks neater than some people who takes their bath every day. The prophet said God spoke to him in year 2000 that he should stop taking his bath and separate himself from his wife and till now he has been doing that. Click below to read to read what he told City People magazine;
CP: Some years back, you came out that God instructed you to stop having your bath, is it true. And are you still on it?
Prophet: Yes, it is 13years now to be precise. Early 200 the Lord told me to stop taking my bath, separate myself from my wife and that I should stop taking all those soft drinks and wines. And since then, diligently, I have observed all those things.
Whoever God wants to use for certain purposes on earth, there is a serious price attached to that calling. So I believe that is the price I am paying. As I am talking to you now, I have not taking my bath, if you want me to show you evidence, I will show you if you doubt all I am saying; I have not taking my bath since 2001 till this moment.