Saturday, 8 March 2014

IT STILL FEELS LIKE THAT MORNING



          I was far from giving up ,not now that I had Pere the fastest  athlete in my school a dozen of footsteps  behind me  and in just  two sprints  I would be pushing my chest  against  the blue finish  ribbon putting my house at the top of the inter-house sports  score chart. It was just a thin space between my chest and the blue finish ribbon, so small a space that  even air had to squeeze in to pass through when I was awoken by a loud noise  , and voices screaming   at their peak  sandwiched in tears, coupled with the piercing cry of Boma my baby sister  ringing through the tiny corridor that connected the bedrooms to the living room  mummy! Mummy! She cried.Jumping out of my bed in anxiety and dragging Boma by the hand to the living room. It was Mum and Dad again! throwing clenched fists at each other’s cheeks  as soon as they had the space to do so and mummy yelling ‘’yeye man”!!!Irresponsible man!!!Cheat!!!!!”See the time you come back home to your wife and children”. I was young but  I needed not to be told that father had just returned home from one of his regular  womanizing and drinking spree as the smell of alcohol totally suppressed  the fragrance  from the glade air freshener anytime  he drew closer or opened his mouth. I was young and helpless , at barely fourteen years of age the was no way I could separate a fight between two furious adults  despite my pleas of Mummy and Daddy please stop fighting nor Boma’s crying could stop them so I ran to call Adamu the  gateman. Apparently on exiting the brawl the fighting grew worse as  Adamu and I ran into a half-chocked mother with father’s belt stiffly tightened around her neck, half way under the dinning table and pieces of a broken glass scattered recklessly on the floor and father pressing the lower part of his abdomen  with blood dripping unto his shirt, obviously mother must have stabbed  him with the glass on the stool beside the dinning table in self –defense as he tried suffocating the life out of her with his belt on her neck .I was staring at my both parents half way unconscious  with tears dripping down from my cheek unto my favorite superman pygamas Adamu  struggled to lie father into a more comfortable   position to stop the blood from dripping  but that did not help much. Mother was breathing but with eyes still closed and tiny blood trickled from the side of her head, the entire living room was polka dotted with little drops of blood here and there. It was still very early in the morning, even the sun was yet to wake up from its sleep, so was port-Harcourt and everyone within my neighborhood except for trailer drivers and crying babies making it impossible to get aid to the nearest hospital. As soon as the daylight flashed Adamu got some neighbors to rush them to the hospital were father passed  from a heart failure and excess loss of blood .Mother was unconscious for three good days as  a result of the injuries she sustained on her head and in no time was arraigned before a law court  with charges of murder ,but somehow the plea of self defense and no intention to kill ,coupled with reliable evidence ushered mother out of the court room discharged and acquitted .This was not the fist time I watched them fight ,that morning only turned out to be the climax of it all.

      It has been years ,since this occurrence  but the thought of my children asking me about their grandfather  or over hearing  people say their grandmother killed their grandfather in self defense  drives my memories back through the roads of my arduous past, then I become bitter and once again it still feels like that  morning.

By Owajioniro Benson
6th March, 2014.


https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/554016_694329823926085_1701078042_n.jpg

11 comments:

  1. Wow this is captivating oniro.
    You will make a good writter. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brovo very well writtten, vividly explained and excruciatingly ditailed to mirror reality. Ngozi adiche wouldnt have written it any better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowwww!!! Im speechless....very well written cuz...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomilola Oguns8 March 2014 at 08:57

    Hmmmmm....i'm so perplexed.....this is really a superb write-up...its really captivating and filled with suspense....Your really blessed, i now believe this is your calling....u get mouth

    ReplyDelete
  5. More vim to ur elbows... snowballie...

    ReplyDelete
  6. favour Giselle8 March 2014 at 10:28

    Very nice story. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  7. aaawww!thank you so much everyone .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dis is lovely sittee, ah!! U for don tell me say na achebe clone u be so. Keep it up hun, u r really good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ur gud at wat u do, always gat ur bck dear, Go girl!

    ReplyDelete