The word Social Media is now a norm or somewhat an opium! We are all victims of this internet habituation (social media) unless if you are shy to reiterate your Facebook or Twitter addiction in public. I, Paul Adepoju, I am a Facebook addict!!!
The debate about if everyone is on Facebook or not have been sparking agitation worldwide. Ofcourse, almost everyone is on social media but not everyone is on Facebook because Facebook is just a bulk fraction of social media.
Social Media is indispensable and unavoidable even if you are intransigent to embrace it, circumstances or pressure from peers will compel you to join the club. It has changed the way we interact with one another and to the world at large. It has effected the way we live our lives on a daily basis. And it has also served as a tool of liberation against political and religious tyrannies.
Below are some social media & mobile statistics from the book "Socialnomics" by Erik Qualman;
- Over 50% of the world population is under 30years old.
- 96% of the total half of the world population are on social media.
- Facebook tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
- Social Media has overtaken pornography as the #1 activity on the web.
- 1 out of 8 couples married in the U.S. met via social media.
- It took 38years to reach 50million radio listeners, 13years to reach 50 million TV viewers and 4years to reach 50million internet users BUT Facebook added over 200 million users in less than a year.
- iPod application downloads hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the 3rd largest.
- US Department of Education study revealed that online students out performed those receiving face-to-face instruction.
- 80% of companies use social media for recruitment.
- The fastest growing age and gender segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females.
- 50% of the mobile Internet traffic in the UK is for facebook.
- Ashton Kutcher and Britney Spears have more Twitter followers than the entire populations of Sweden, Israel, Switzerland, Ireland, Norway and Panama.
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine in the world.
- WIKIPEDIA has over 15 million articles.
- There are over 200 million Blogs.
- 25% of search results for the world's Top 20 largest brands are links to user-generated content.
- 34% of bloggers post opinions about products & brands.
- 60 million status updates happen on Facebook daily.
- Indians spend more time on social media than on any other activity on the Internet.
This tool called Social Media can play a synergistic role of linking various activities together, for example, while playing games on Facebook or watching video post, you might as well be chatting with friends at the same time.
It is also good for business, be it a owner's managed business or a corporate entity, you can target your customers on social media sites. Also works perfectly well for classified goods, post what you want to sell and users will hit you up.
With my Facebook account and BlackBerry, I don't have to stay glued to my TV set or tune the radio for news around the world. At my own convenience, anytime of the day, I can peeped through various posts and updates for happenings around the world.
Social Media is not a rocket science nor religious myth, it is a rudimentary change in the way we communicate.
Paul Adepoju, ACMI